We had already addressed it in January: The Vengeful Demon Hunter is one of the winners of WoW: Shadowlands so far
and is one of the most popular specializations ever, especially in the Mythic-Plus area. According to Warcraftlogs, across all keystones, only Fire Mages and Lawless Rogues are currently more successful in the dungeons. The higher the keystone level, the less likely you are to encounter other tank specializations.
Vengeful Demon Hunters are very mobile (and can easily kite enemies when things get dicey), deal high group damage, bring useful tools, and have tremendous survivability. Apparently, this last survivability is not just a result of class design, but also a bug. That very bug is currently the subject of an article on Wowhead that went online over the weekend. Here are the key findings:
- Vengeful Demon Hunters currently have a noticeable reduction in damage taken thanks to Devil Flame Enhancement, Demonic Protection, Viscous Ink, and Letting Go of the Past (as well as their versatility).
- However, the logs show that the reduction in magic damage taken is much higher than it should be (for example, the math shows a 36.2 percent reduction in magic damage instead of a 23.5 percent reduction in magic damage).As for the physical damage reduction, however, everything seems to be correct.
- This bug can be traced back to logs from the Shadowlands beta.
- It is unclear what specifically is causing this bug. From Battle for Azeroth to Shadowlands, there were adjustments to Demonic Protection. This may be where the bug crept in.
- It's likely thanks to the bug and the resulting increased survivability of Vengeful Demon Hunter that Blizzard implemented noticeable mitigations for play elsewhere during the beta - such as Soul Fragment and Soul Splitter.
- Fixing the bug would make viscous ink and devil flame boosts more useful, but at the same time the adjustment would feel like a whopping nerf to specialization. On high keystones, certain pulls would become significantly harder and cause players to fail situations they currently get mastered.
- The author of the Wowhead article stresses that he still wants to see a hotfix. Vengeful Demon Hunter has some building blocks, but they don't seem to be an issue at Blizzard due to the current strength of the specialization.
How about it: Have you guys also wondered about the high survivability of the Demon Hunter tanks? Should Blizzard retract the nerfs from the beta if they fix the bug? Let us know what you think in the comments!Support buffed - it only takes a minute. Thanks!
All readers get free daily news, articles, guides, videos, and podcasts on World of Warcraft, Pokémon Go, and other favorite games from us. Up until now, we've funded this site through advertising and kept it as free of paid articles as possible, but since COVID-19, that's become increasingly difficult. Many companies are cutting or eliminating their advertising budgets for 2020. Budgets that we unfortunately have to rely on if we want to continue offering buffed for free in the future in the form we are used to.
For this reason, we are now turning to you. You can support us as buffed supporters so that we can continue to offer our content for free in the usual form without introducing a paywall or publishing misleading news. Every contribution, big or small, is valuable. Support buffed - it only takes a minute. Support now
We thank you in advance
Order World of Warcraft now on Amazon
Also read these interesting stories 0
WoW: Deep Wind Shot - PvP Brawl as of August 18 WoW PvP Brawl: Starting on August 18, we'll be heading into a special variant of the Deepwind Gulch battleground. Here is the news! 0
WoW TBC Classic: SSC and/or TK? Warcraftlogs Poll on Phase 2 Raids On Warcraftlogs, you can currently have your say on exactly how the World First race will be rated in TBC Classic Phase 2
WoW: No content drought after all? Hints for Patch 9.1.5 discovered Is WoW facing a content drought in the coming months? Find from some dataminers raises hopes for patch 9.1.5.
03:42WoWPatch 9.1: Chains of Domination Cinematic Trailer - King's Grail
World of Warcraft
Karsten has been writing about his favourite hobby since 2009 - it all started back then as a rogue class spokesman at buffed.
Is something missing in the article?
to the home page
The links marked with * are affiliate links. Affiliate links are not ads, as we are independent in our research and selection of featured products. For product sales we receive a small commission, with which we partially finance the free content of the website.